Clayton E. Bunting is our Morris James resident Personal Injury Partner in our Georgetown, Delaware office where he has concentrated on accident personal injury and workers’ compensation claims for some 35 years. Clayton was born and raised in Selbyville by a family engaged in the plant nursery business, as well as public service. He was named after his paternal grandfather who served on the Highway Commission, State Board of Education, and as President Pro -Tem of the Delaware Senate, when his maternal grandfather also was a Representative in the House; his father, Eugene Bunting, was Secretary Of State and State Chairman of the Republican Party in Delaware.
After graduating from Fork Union Military Academy in Virginia with honors as a Cadet Captain, Clayton obtained his BS degree in Business Administration at the University Of Richmond, where he served two terms as president of his college fraternity, Kappa Alpha Order, and national undergraduate president in his senior year, traveling and speaking at many of the over 130 chapters at college campuses and banquets nationwide. He was awarded a Juris Doctor degree at the University of Baltimore Law School in 1976, where he emerged from competition as the number one law student chosen by the law faculty in oral argument and brief writing, representing the law school in the National Moot Court competition. Clayton has practiced actively in the same Georgetown office since graduation.
Clayton and his wife, Debbie, live in Georgetown, where they raised their three children, Amy, Andrew, and Clayton, Jr. The birth of Andrew on June 29, 1984, permanently changed their lives. Andrew was born with Down Syndrome. The advice to institutionalize Andrew was ignored and his continued residence in their home has proved a significant blessing.
Clayton enjoys the highest AV peer review lawyers' rating for legal knowledge and ethical practice, having additionally been recognized by lawyer peer review rating as a top Delaware workers compensation lawyer in Delaware Today Magazine. He is also a member of numerous professional associations and chaired a golf tournament later named The Clayton Bunting Golf Classic for the primary benefit of the American Red Cross, which cited him for numerous awards. Clayton currently serves as President of the Sussex Pines Country Club in Georgetown.
- Delaware Supreme Court appeals
- Claims heard before the State of Delaware Industrial Accident Board
- Mediation Hearings
- Arbitration hearings
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Sussex County Bar Association
- Delaware Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Governors, Former Member
- American Association for Justice, Sustaining Member
- Terry-Carey Inn of Court
- Delaware Supreme Court, Board on Unauthorized Practice of Law, Member 1997-2000
- National Moot Court Representative, 1975-76
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Top Trial Lawyers in Delaware
- Delaware Today® "Top Lawyers," 2010
- Delaware Today® Top Personal Injury and Worker's Compensation Attorney by Peer Review 2010
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rating
- Kappa Alpha Order, Legal Consultant
- Georgetown/Millsboro Rotary Club, Member and Past President
- Delaware Community Foundation, Former Director
- Sussex Pines Country Club, Inc., President
- Sussex Pregnancy Care Center, Advisory Board
- The Gideons International, Past Camp President and Cabinet Member, Lifetime Member
- Chairman of Board of Elders of Peninsula Community Church (PCC)