Morris James offers a focused approach. We help those who were harmed by another party's negligent actions pursue compensation for their injuries via civil lawsuits. The skilled legal team at Morris James boasts more than 80 years of combined experience in personal injury law and is adept at litigating personal injury, medical malpractice and workers' compensation cases, including wrongful death, birth injury, hospital negligence, auto accident, workers' compensation, dog bite, product liability, and slip-and-fall claims.
Injury lawsuits are a common type of civil lawsuit in Delaware. Civil lawsuits differ from criminal lawsuits in that they're brought by victims against individuals or corporations for the purpose of securing compensation for damages, rather than brought by the government against individuals for the purpose of imposing penalties for violating the law.
At Morris James, our knowledgeable attorneys are dedicated to providing compassionate legal representation that guides our clients through each and every step of the civil litigation process—from the initial filing of the complaint to its resolution.
Our law firm has extensive experience handling cases from the following personal injury practice areas:
- Auto accidents. Being involved in a car, truck, or motorcycle accident can turn a person's well-ordered world completely upside down. In addition to unexpected medical bills, auto accident victims may also have to grapple with extensive property damage to their vehicle and a devastating change of lifestyle. Fortunately, Delaware law allows accident victims to pursue compensation for these and other accident-related damages.
- Birth injury. The birth of a child should be one of the most exciting and joyful experiences in one’s life. Unfortunately, this experience can quickly become traumatic if the medical providers involved do not appropriately monitor and treat the mother and baby during pregnancy, labor, or delivery. In some cases, medical negligence can lead to catastrophic birth injuries to the mother and/or the baby that have a lifelong impact on the entire family. If a baby’s or mother’s injuries were due to the negligence of a healthcare provider, they may be entitled to compensation for their injuries.
- Boating and jet ski accidents. Boating is a popular pastime on Delaware waterways, and unfortunately leads to many tragic accidents and injuries. Often, these accidents are caused by the negligence of another person. Inexperienced, inattentive, and intoxicated boat operators are leading causes of maritime accidents in Delaware. When someone else’s negligence results in injuries or losses to you or a loved one, you have a legal right to compensation.
- Dangerous products. Despite the existence of government safety regulations, a handful of defective or otherwise potentially harmful products make their way to store shelves in the United States each year. People who have been harmed by dangerous or defective pharmaceuticals, foods, food containers, childcare items, children's toys, and many other items, may be able to hold the manufacturer responsible for their injuries.
- Dog Bites & Attacks. Every year, thousands of Americans are bitten by animals -- most often dogs. In many cases, a person bitten or attacked by a dog may have a legal right to recover damages from the animal's owner or another responsible party.
- Medical malpractice. All healthcare providers owe a professional duty to their patients. If a healthcare provider fails in his or her duty, it is called a breach in the standard of care. A breach in the standard of care can lead to catastrophic injuries or death. When that happens, the provider has committed medical malpractice.
- Motorcycle Accidents. Motorcyclists face unique and serious risks on the road. While many drivers exercise care and caution behind the wheel, there are those whose poor decisions and negligence put others at risk, especially those on motorcycles. Delaware law allows motorcycle accident victims to hold those people responsible for the injuries and damage they cause. It gives motorcycle accident victims the right to compensation for their injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and other pain and suffering.
- Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect. The abuse of the elderly and persons with disabilities in nursing homes, long-term care facilities, and assisted living facilities is a tragic and common problem. Families who have earnestly tried to find a safe and caring home for their vulnerable loved one can be unaware of the physical injuries, psychological harm, or financial loss being inflicted by the people entrusted with their care. When neglect or abuse is discovered, it can be emotionally and financially overwhelming to take care of a loved one, as well as dealing with the perpetrators. Often abusers go unpunished, and families do not get the justice and compensation that they deserve.
- Serious injuries. Even if accident victims are fortunate enough to escape with their lives, they may still suffer serious and debilitating injuries that require extensive treatment and long, grueling recovery periods. Filing a civil lawsuit allows victims to seek a financial award that can help them pay for treatments and replace wages lost due to missed work.
- Slip-and-fall accidents (also known as premises liability accidents). Delaware property owners have a duty to maintain their properties for the safety of the public, their tenants, or other lawful visitors. Property owners who fail to take reasonable precautions may be held liable if someone slips and falls, or is otherwise injured, due to their negligence of duty. Filing a personal injury lawsuit allows slip-and-fall accident victims to fight for the compensation to which they may be entitled.
- Truck Accidents. For some Delaware drivers, climbing behind the wheel is their job. Most truck drivers are responsible, safe drivers. Others, however, push the limits of both their physical capabilities and their professional duties. Drivers may get behind the wheel fatigued or not having properly checked their vehicle. When a professional driver or trucking company fails to operate with the appropriate amount of care, dangerous accidents occur.
- Workers' Compensation. Unfortunately, many Delaware employees are injured or die on the job. Workplace accidents, repetitive behaviors, unsafe conditions, and more can cause employees to suffer an injury that prevents them from doing their job. In these situations, what are Delaware workers to do? Without the income they need, they may not be able to obtain proper medical care, pay their bills, and continue to lead the life they had before the accident.
- Wrongful death. When a loved one dies in an accident caused by another party's negligence, Delaware law allows the spouse, children, parents, or siblings of the deceased person to file a lawsuit for the purpose of securing compensation for funeral expenses, lost income and benefits, lost child or spousal support, lost household services, and mental anguish.
Do You Need a Personal Injury Attorney?
If you—or someone you love—were injured in an accident caused by another party's negligence, you may not have to bear the burden of accident-related expenses on your own. Delaware law allows you to file a personal injury lawsuit to pursue compensation for damages such as medical bills, property damage, lost wages, loss of earning potential, and pain and suffering related to the accident.
Contact the seasoned personal injury attorneys with the Morris James Personal Injury Group to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your case. Our attorneys are eager to help you explore your legal options and are committed to working with you to obtain the financial award you deserve.