Most truck drivers are responsible, safe drivers. Others, however, push the limits of both their physical capabilities and their professional duties. Drivers may get behind the wheel fatigued or not having properly checked their vehicle. When a professional driver or trucking company fails to operate with the appropriate amount of care, dangerous accidents occur.
If you have been injured by a tractor-trailer, you may be protected by the law. You deserve compensation for the pain and suffering you have experienced through no fault of your own. Our team has over 150 years of combined experience representing injured victims, and we know what it takes to be successful against truck drivers, trucking companies, and insurance companies. We understand that truck accidents are scary and stressful, and we work hard to help accident victims seek justice and find a way to move forward.
If you or someone you love has suffered injuries in a truck accident, contact us at Morris James to learn more about your rights and how we can assist you after a truck accident. Call 302.655.2599 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with our experienced truck accident lawyers.
Are truck accident cases the same as car accident cases?
No. Though there are some similarities between car and truck crashes, when it comes to personal injury litigation, these two types of cases—and how they're handled—are often worlds apart. Some of the most significant ways that truck accident cases differ from car crash cases include the following:
- Causes. Semis, big-rigs, 18-wheelers, tractor-trailers, and other large commercial trucks handle differently than smaller, lighter-weight passenger vehicles. Common factors in truck crash causes can include sizable “no-zone” blind spots, issues with maneuverability, and improperly loaded cargo.
- Regulations. In addition to the traffic laws which govern all Delaware motorists, commercial truck drivers are also subject to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations, which limit the length and frequency of shifts, mandate rest periods, and outline maintenance and inspection requirements and logbook practices.
- Damages. Injuries, property damages, medical expenses—and subsequent financial recoveries—tend to be greater in truck crash cases than in car accident cases involving two passenger vehicles.
- Liable parties. In car crash cases, the at-fault party is often the other driver. However, truck accident cases may involve multiple defendants, such as the commercial truck driver, the trucking company they drive for, or even faulty truck parts and components manufacturers. A knowledgeable truck accident attorney can help victims determine the parties to name as defendants in their personal injury lawsuit.
Is a trucker or a trucking company responsible for my injuries?
A truck accident can be a genuinely harrowing experience that can leave victims seriously injured and unsure of their legal rights. Considering that most passenger vehicles weigh around 4,000 lbs., while big-rig vehicles can weigh in at 80,000 lbs. or more, it's easy to understand why so many of these accidents have a serious and negative impact on the lives of those involved.
After a truck accident, many victims want to know if they can pursue compensation for their injuries and, if so, from whom—the truck driver or the trucking company? While Delaware law allows accident victims to seek a financial award to compensate them for injuries, the issue of fault isn't always as clear cut and can be difficult to determine. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, the commercial truck driver, the trucking company, or even the truck's manufacturer could be liable.
- June 16, 2023
- April 22, 2022
- March 9, 2022
- January 19, 2022
- October 26, 2021
- November 5, 2020
- November 4, 2020
- October 30, 2020
- April 11, 2023
- February 21, 2023
- January 27, 2023
- September 6, 2022
- April 21, 2022
- April 12, 2022
- April 8, 2022
- November 30, 2021
- "Matt was very professional and helpful. He explained all the options to me."
Matt was very professional and helpful. He explained all the options to me. I would definitely recommend the firm’s services to others.
- "The group is knowledgeable about personal injury law and explained it to me fully, even if I did not understand they took their time to explain it so I would understand."
My phone calls and emails were always returned very quickly. I never had to call them, they were on point with my case. Always answered all of my questions, even if they were from Google. I would recommend this group to anyone they are friendly and easy to work with during a bad accident. The group is knowledgeable about personal injury law and explained it to me fully, even if I did not understand they took their time to explain it so I would understand.
- If we have anyone that needs an injury attorney, we will definitely recommend them!
My wife and I had an excellent experience with Morris James LLP. If we have anyone that needs an injury attorney, we will definitely recommend them!